Re: Edit Wikipedia Article directly in Emacs?

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Edit Wikipedia Article directly in Emacs?
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 15:26:37 +0700

On Fri, 30 Jun 2023 at 11:57, Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:

> * Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> [2023-06-28 17:28]:
> > I am not sure how good of an idea this is, to my recollection Wikipedia
> > markup is fairly specific and it is not easy to map between different
> > markup formats without loosing too much information.
>
> Just to mention that command line:
>
> pandoc -f org -t mediawiki MYFILE.org
>
> is to convert Org to Mediawiki format.

The specifics of Mediawiki is that you can have templates that
effectively extend the markup language, and this is widely used in
Wikipedia and its sister wikis. A quick experiment shows that Pandoc
silently drops most template inclusions. So if you take the source of
a wiki page, convert it to Org with pandoc, edit it in Org, then
convert back to mediawiki format and save, you will annoy moderators,
who will then be tempted to just revert your change without spending
time to pick out useful parts from overall formatting destruction.