Re: Impossible to customize world clock

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Impossible to customize world clock
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2024 22:48:14 -0400

>> When looking how to add Berlin, he'd search for the vars to change and
>> would find `world-clock-list` with a list of elements of the form (NAME
>> OTHERNAME FUNNYNAME), so it would (hopefully) naturally make him wonder
>> which part to change.  In contrast with the current situation he
>> stumbled upon `zoneinfo-world-clock-list` and was stumped because it
>> made no difference although his change was "correct".
>
> That's not what I meant.  What I meant was how would users know which
> XXXnYYY string to use for FUNNYNAME that will have the effect of
> showing the time in Berlin, like "Europe/Berlin" does?

I'm not trying to fix this problem.  I'm just trying to make it easier
for the users to know which problem they need to solve.
With the representation I'm suggesting, they'd have three problems to
solve:

1- Find the variable.  [ apparently the OP would have solved this
   problem since he found `zoneinfo-world-clock-list`).  ]
2- Figure out which of OTHERNAME or FUNNYNAME (or both) they need to set.
   [ This is the problem which the OP didn't know he had to solve
     because the current representation made it not obvious enough.  ]
3- Figure out which FUNNYNAME they should use.
   [ This is the harder problem that needs to be solved in all cases.  ]

> If the only issue is to make sure users know what to customize, we
> could clarify that in the doc strings.  That'd probably be more
> efficient and will not change the default behavior.

You're probably right.

        Stefan