Re: New line and trailing whitespaces

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: New line and trailing whitespaces
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 16:48:06 +0200

Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 04:41:26 +0200
From: Ergus <spacibba@aol.com>
Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

I tried this.

(with-eval-after-load 'whitespace
   (setq whitespace-style '(faces tab-mark)
        whitespace-display-mappings `((tab-mark ?\t [,(make-glyph-code ?�
'whitespace-tab) ?\t] ))
        ))
(whitespace-mode 1)

But I only get the error:

wrong-type-argument number-or-marker-p (187 . 235)

Some idea what I am doing wrong?

It's a bug in whitespace.el, which I just fixed on the master branch:
it didn't work correctly with glyph codes.  You seem to have a lot of
faces defined (more than 64 of them), so you bumped into this corner
case.

Thank you very much. It works now. I don't actually add any new face if
they exist is because the were added by packages.

About the user friendly interface you mentioned previously.

I may be wrong, but I think it doesn't need a new face and custom
option, we just need to use the same whitespace-tab face for
tab-mark. It will be more coherent because the tabs (space highlight)
only uses the :background and the tab-mark will use only the
:foreground. Simpler and with all the flexibility. WDYT?

Thanks again,
Best,
Ergus