gnu tar

From: Peter van Eck
Subject: gnu tar
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 16:50:56 +0200

Hello everybody,

I've got a little problem with gnu tar .

I've compiled and installed gnu tar 1.13 on an  HP-UX 11.00 system.

The installation went OK but one  problem I can;t resolve is the remote
tape server option .

When I try to read a remote tape drive I get the following error back :

# tar tvf homer:/dev/rmt/1m
rcmd: emsh: Unknown host
tar: Cannot open homer:/dev/rmt/1m: I/O error

It can't identify the hostname , does gnu tar use DNS or /etc/hosts ??!?

If it translates the command line with remsh  'hostname'  it shoudn't be
a problem .

Any help would be appreciated .

thanks,

Peter van Eck