can't compile plotutils-2.4 on AIX 4.3

From: Curt Russell Crandall
Subject: can't compile plotutils-2.4 on AIX 4.3
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 13:59:59 -0500 (EST)

I'm trying to install plotutils-2.4 on a RS-6000 running AIX 4.3.  The
gcc/g++ compiler used is version 2.95.2 19991024.  During the config
stage, it sets HAVE_STRCASECMP to 1 (line 122 of config.h).  Then when it
goes to compile, I receive the following error message:

c++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I./../include -DLIBPLOT -DLIBPLOTTER -O2
-c g_colors.cc -DPIC -o g_colors.lo
g_colors.cc: In function 'bool _string_to_color(const char *, plColor *,
plColorNameCache *)':
g_colors.cc:506: implicit declaration of function 'int strcasecmp(...)'
make[1]: *** [g_colors.lo] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/gnu/src/plotutils/plotutils-2.4/libplotter'
make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

I have a short script that performs the installation:
#!/gnu/bin/bash

cd plotutils-2.4

./configure \
 --prefix=/gnu \
 --enable-libplotter \
 --enable-libxmi \
 --enable-lj-fonts-in-ps

make
make install

I tried editing the config.h so the HAVE_STRCASECMP is set to 0.  Then I
ran `make clean` followed by `make`.  The result was the same.  Next, I
search the lib directories for STRCASECMP using the `nm` command.  I could
not locate the lib file with this function.

I definitely need libplotter installed since the whole reason I'm using
this library is because I need to use the Perl module Graphics::Plotter
which needs libplotter.

If anyone knows what I could do next, I'd greatly appreciate hearing from
you.  I guess my next thought is to go into the code and try editing
it... but since I'm not the developer of the code, I feel I'd probably do
more harm than good.

Thanks,
Curt Crandall