network problem : unknown protocol

From: Greindl Jacques
Subject: network problem : unknown protocol
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 12:24:41 +0100

Hi,

If this message is not in the right mailing list, please excuse me and tell me where to go.

I ve build an small linux system on a flash disk, but I got some problems.
I got a error when I try using ping or any other net utility.
The message when I try ping is : "unknown protocol ICMP".
I event don't receive a message like : "Too few arguments" when I only type "ping" at the command prompt.
I suppose some configuration file is missing, but I don't know which.
( I already have written the file "/etc/protocols" )

Could someone help me ?

Jacques Greindl