Help with reinstall

From: Stan Horspool
Subject: Help with reinstall
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 11:06:48 -0700

I was installing glibc-2.1 and specified the installation directory as
> /usr/lib. I ran configure and got a message saying I should move
> /usr/local to another directory. I mv'd it to /usr/local_backup and
> reran configure. I then ran 'make' and got a message saying it
couldn't
> find an include file. I mv'd /usr/local_backup back to /usr/local and
> ran make. After a while I got a message saying it couldn't find the
'ln'
> command in /bin. All commands in /bin, /sbin were missing. Apparently
> they were links and got unlinked somehow. I then tried to reboot and
the
> shutdown couldn't find /bin/sleep. I couldn' t boot the system after
> that. I have lots of stuff I don't want to lose. Rescue disk doesn't
> work. If I reinstall I'm going to lose everything.

Could someone point me in the direction of creating a bootable floppy.
Would I then run fsck against the file systems on my hard disk? I think
the /bin and /sbin directories are all messed up, but if I could get a
tar file from /etc, /var and /home and then install a new kernel, that
would probably do what I wanted originally anyway, which is to upgrade
my kernel so I could run Cisco's vpn.