Tar: file changed as we read it

From: Paddy Doyle
Subject: Tar: file changed as we read it
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 15:20:20 +0100

Hi,
I'm using tar to back up a mysql database to tape. The database is up
and is being
written to at the time. So I get the following errors:

tar: /project/mysql/data/mysqld.log: file changed as we read it
tar: /project/mysql/data/db/DATA1.MYI: file changed as we read it
..etc..

But as far as I can see, the tar does finish. According to the online
tar manual, this seems
to fit into the category of a recoverable error, which is why the tar
finishes.

My question is:
What is actually written to the archive - the file as it was when tar
opened it; or the file after
it was changed; or some mixture?

Thanks,
Paddy