automake and autoconf

From: sdangelo
Subject: automake and autoconf
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 17:55:03 -0400

Hi all,

I have two problems with automake and autoconf under OS/390
OPEN EDITION.

I generate a configure file that use .C as extention for the test
program, in the file is present the following line

ac_ext=C

the problem is that my compiler c++ compiler does not support this
extension.

How I can modify Makefile.am or configure.in to change the line above in

ac_ext=cpp

?

When the Makefile is generated the rules to compile my source code are:

%.o: %.cpp
     @echo '$(CXXCOMPILE) -c $<'; \
     $(CXXCOMPILE) -Wp,-MD,.deps/$(*F).pp -c $<
     and so on

but my compiler does not support the options -Wp and -MD to generate the
dependences. On OS/390 should be used the makedepend (or makedep) tool
to do that but I do know how tell to automake and autoconf to use this
tool.

I tried to check if there is documentation about these problems but I
didn't find anything.

Can someone of you help me?

Thanx in advance.
Bye