diffs and patches

From: Siders, Keith
Subject: diffs and patches
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 16:21:11 -0500

Hello,

I've been trying to find online documentation on creating patches. I assume
it works by using the diff utllity, but was hoping to find a how-to file
describing how to generate a patch file. Specifically I have patches to the
Linux 2.2.19 kernel for a Toshiba MIPS processor board. I have produced the
diffs to determine where the patches were done to the kernel for this
particular CPU and board. I need to merge the requried code changes into a
2.4 kernel but don't know the diff and patch creation portion of the tools.
Is there a how-to file describing the creation of the patch files and
procedures for merging those patches into a later version of the target
software, in this case the Linux kernel?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Keith Siders
Software Engineer
 Toshiba America Consumer Products, Inc.