SOS...

From: Venkatakrishnan, V
Subject: SOS...
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 15:06:43 -0400

Hi,

I'm using this command to link my obj with a few static libs...
gcc register.o -L. -lXtlLib -lXrtlLib -lXSnmpLib -lXenvhlpLib -lSnmpAuxiLib -lSnmpLib -o TrapRegister

but I get linking errors saying undefined references coz. the libraries are getting linked sequentially and a library occuring earlier in the sequence might be trying to refer to a function that's being linked later in the sequence.

A man on ld gave me the switch shown below, which I think is the solution but I can't seem to get it working.......I tried things like....

gcc register.o -L. -(-lXtlLib -lXrtlLib .....) -o TrapRegister    or
gcc register.o -L. -l(XtlLib XrtlLib.....) -o TrapRegister  and a few more....

but none of them worked......... do you now how to use this switch exactly?  Could you please give me an example?

-( archives -)

--start-group archives --end-group
    The archives should be a list of archive files.   They
    may be either explicit file names, or -l options.

    The  specified  archives are searched repeatedly until
    no new undefined references are created.  Normally, an
    archive  is searched only once in the order that it is
    specified on the command line.  If a  symbol  in  that
    archive  is  needed  to  resolve  an  undefined symbol
    referred to by an object in an  archive  that  appears
    later  on  the  command  line, the linker would not be
    able to  resolve  that  reference.   By  grouping  the
    archives,  they  all  be searched repeatedly until all
    possible references are resolved.

    Using this option has a significant performance  cost.
    It  is  best to use it only when there are unavoidable
    circular references between two or more archives.

Regards,
Venky