Re: head/tail use?

From: Ehud Karni
Subject: Re: head/tail use?
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 01:30:59 +0200

On Mon, 5 Nov 2001 16:29:25 -0500, Conrad Seaman <CSeaman@rpmtec.com> wrote:

> I am having trouble using the textutil head/tail
> I work on a windows machine using GNU emulation utilities,
> if I call head/tail from the command line in dos they work great and just as
> the documentation states.
> however, I am trying to write a series of shell scripts using sh (Bourne)
> and if I call the head/tail utilities from the scripts they are interpreted
> differently by the command line and don't work as doccumented,
> is there a reason for this?

Check if the head/tail are DOS/Windows native program and how they
accept their arguments. It may be problem of the arguments (POSIX
paths vs. M$DOS/Windows paths).

Anyway I can recommend using Cygwin (http://cygwin.com) which is free
(GNU GPL) and for sure uses GNU textutils (and many other GNU tools).

Ehud.

--
 Ehud Karni     Mivtach - Simon  Insurance   /"\
 Tel: +972-3-7966-561 Fax: +972-3-7966-667   \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign