dynamic linking to a full path

From: Paul Jarc
Subject: dynamic linking to a full path
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 16:49:10 -0500

Suppose I want to link an executable against /path/to/foo.so, where
/path/to is not in any search path.  I could use -rpath, but there are
potential problems[*] with that.  So instead I build a dummy shared
object, using ld -soname to set its DT_SONAME to /path/to/foo.so.  Now
I can link against the dummy, and the executable will actually use
/path/to/foo.so.  Is there any easier way to do this?  Any way that
also works with non-GNU linkers?

[*]
Suppose I want to link to /path/1/foo.so and /path/2/bar.so.  But
/path/1 also contains its own bar.so, and /path/2 also contains its
own foo.so.  There is no search path, even using -rpath, that will
find both libraries correctly.  I must link to each one by its full
path individually.

paul