Re: Question on EMACS V19.28.1 on alpha-dec-osf3.0, X toolkit

From: Paul Jarc
Subject: Re: Question on EMACS V19.28.1 on alpha-dec-osf3.0, X toolkit
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 11:32:11 -0500

"Gauthier, Dave" <Dave.Gauthier@compaq.com> wrote:
> I have a text file containing unprintables (used to bold and
> underline text) which appear in Emacs as "^H".  I want to compose
> and run an Emacs macro that'll "find" these characters and act on
> them, namely, delete them and the next character.

Questions like this typically go to news:gnu.emacs.help.

To delete the backspaces and the next characters, from point to the
end of the buffer: M-x replace-regexp RET C-q C-h . RET RET

C-q is probably what you were missing; it quotes the following key.
More likely, though, you'll want to delete the backspaces and the
*previous* characters; that's the normal effect of a backspace when
printed to a tty: M-x replace-regexp RET . C-q C-h RET RET

paul