Re: 'GNU tools' versions and upgrades

From: Paul Jarc
Subject: Re: 'GNU tools' versions and upgrades
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 11:44:05 -0400

David T-G <davidtg@justpickone.org> wrote:
> Has someone already invented the wheel of maintaining software
> development tools so that the current version (eg gcc/egcs) is
> available but so that someone can easily fall back to an old version
> (eg gcc 2.92 or so) because the environment of an old project
> dictates that?

This can be done by installing each version of each package with its
own directory prefix.  I think GNU stow does that.  There's also the
slashpackage project: <URL:http://cr.yp.to/slashpackage.html>
I've installed several existing packages in slashpackage style:
<URL:http://multivac.cwru.edu./sptools/>

paul