Calling an External File From Bash Source Code

From: fkafka271828
Subject: Calling an External File From Bash Source Code
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 14:19:51 -0400

Hello:

Recently I downloaded some Cygwin software for your Bash shell and your Emacs text editor from one of your mirror FTP sites. Could you be kind enough to answer the following question please?

I have been reading several online Unix tutorials on Unix shells and shell scripts but I cannot find an answer to the following question:

Suppose you are writing a Unix shell script, either in bash,  Korn, C shell, etc. How do you include a line in the shell script to call for an external file in a directory to execute as part of the shell's program when it is run? I am writing the external code to be executed  in the C programming language. Naturally, the shell I am writing (bash) would accept input from the User, but it would have to call for the executable external C code as part of its shell program.

I have read a great deal of info on pipes, "tee", using the operator ">", etc., but I cannot find a clear answer to this specific question.

Any assistance you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Robert Betts

Speak the Rude Truth in all its ways.
(Ralph Waldo Emerson)