versioned symbol problem

From: Paul Jarc
Subject: versioned symbol problem
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 17:03:26 -0400

I'm compiling XFree86 on a GNU/Linux system almost entirely built from
scratch, and I get this error:
+ c++ -o ./libGLU.so.1.3~ -shared -Wl,-soname,libGLU.so.1 [long list of object
files] -lc
ld: ./libGLU.so.1.3~: undefined versioned symbol name
__frame_state_for@@GLIBC_2.0
ld: failed to set dynamic section sizes: Bad value
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I've gotten similar errors with Mozilla and ImageMagick; I had assumed
that something in my X libraries needed an old versioned symbol, but
now I'm building X and it still happens.  I've compiled my own glibc
2.2.5, and I've built flex, ncurses, zlib (which X links with), and
gcc (thus libgcc) using that glibc; I can't imagine what else could be
pulled in that would need to be rebuilt with the new glibc.  How can I
find out exactly what refers to this versioned symbol?

paul