Subject: Dual Boot / Dual HD Win98 RH Linux 7.3

From: Kent D. Harms
Subject: Subject: Dual Boot / Dual HD Win98 RH Linux 7.3
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 21:11:14 -0500

I originally had one single partitioned Win98 hard drive. I recently added a
second hard drive with the intention of installing RH Linux 7.3 and Win98. I
would like to use GRUB to load either Linux, Win98 on original HD, or Win98
off of new HD.

So far I am able to boot Linux and Win98 on only the new HD. The
/boot/grub/grub.conf originally was

default=1
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,8)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-3)
root (hd0,8)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-3 ro root=/dev/hda9
initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.18-3.img
title Win98 Explorer and MS Office Only
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

I tried adding the old HD (slated as the Primary Slave) in the device.map

(fd0) /dev/fd0
(hd0) /dev/hda
(hd1) /dev/hdb

and then adding the following lines to grub.conf

title Win98 Everything
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
chainloader +1

My new HD path is /dev/hda and old HD path is /dev/hdb if this is of any
interest. Again, it only has one partition When I select the old Win98 I get
an "invalid system disk" error.

Do you have any suggestions on how to make this work? Is it even possible to
do what I'm trying to do?

Thanks,
Kent