June 2003 Management Thought of the Month

From: Corporate Performance
Subject: June 2003 Management Thought of the Month
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 13:25:42 -0400

Management Thought of the Month

Brought to you by The Corporate Performance Institute

June 2003 Edition

Dealing with Pressure/Stress

How stable are you under pressure?

What kinds of pressures are you currently dealing with?

All of us are feeling the weight of business pressures. The favourite cultural word for this is stress. Often pressure or stress is really a fear. We are afraid of the negative or perceived negative consequences that may happen if we fail at something.

So how do top life performers (as I call them) deal with stress?

A couple of things that they all do:

A) They believe strongly that they are lucky and that things always work out for them in the end. Basically they are learned optimists and will often say that even the worst result will have some kind of silver lining.

B) They keep things in context. While being concerned about the issue causing the pressure/stress, they keep in mind all the good things that are happening as well.

C) They ask empowering questions like: How can this be good for me? What am I learning here? How can I better deal with this stress? Will this be a major issue 5 years from now? These types of questions help you move from focusing on the problem, to focusing on solutions.

D) They often write down the pressures/stresses and create a written plan of how to deal with them. Often, just the act of writing them down, reduces the feeling of pressure and stress.

Last and most importantly, many top life performers look at pressure as a way of bringing out the best in themselves. Pressure is an incredible motivator. A sort of character and skill builder.

Remember it is the incredible pressure of the earths crust that turns almost worthless coal into valuable diamonds.

How well you perform, while under pressure/stress, is a defining moment for all leaders and managers. It turns you into strong and valuable management/leadership material. These days, this is what we call experienced managers/leaders. They are the diamonds of all organizations.

Ross McBride
Managing Director
The Corporate Performance Institute

Mr. McBride does corporate education seminars, CEO/Executive coaching and keynote speaking engagements for successful organizations in North America, Asia and Europe.  He is an expert on subjects as diverse as Negotiation Skills, Leadership, Teambuilding and Sales.

Please be advised that you have been referred for a free trial subscription.  Please click Here to subscribe to The Corporate Performance Institute  Management Thought of the Month free of charge.

Please click Here to visit our web site or go to www.corporate-performance.org