Washington DC Demographic Analysis Workshops (August 21 & 22)

From: Gina Clemmer
Subject: Washington DC Demographic Analysis Workshops (August 21 & 22)
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 22:09:33 -0700

Washington DC Demographic Analysis Workshop Announcement

The Local Demographic Analysis Workshop (LDAW)™ was developed for human service providers, neighborhood activists, grant writers, planners or anyone who would like to easily look up and analyze basic demographic characteristics. Participants will learn to use the 2000 Census, as well as more current data sets.

Each workshop will focus on analysis for the particular city in which it is taught, however, all techniques and methodologies are directly transferable to any other geography.

When:   August 21st or 22nd  (one day workshop)
Where
ExecuTrain 1001 Connecticut Ave, NW STE 230 Washington DC 20036
Fee:      $215 for credit card at the time of sign up, $249 regular price
How To Register: Visit
www.smartgirltechnologies.com or call us toll free at 1-877-241-6576

OBJECTIVES

This is a basic, technical workshop that will teach you how to access, analyze, and present 2000/1990 Census (short and long form), 2001 American Community Survey (ACS) and 2001 Census Supplemental data. Participants will:

• Learn the most efficient process to extract, query, download and manipulate data from the American Factfinder website;

• Construct a Local Community Change Profile™ for the city and Census tract within that city. The Profile is comprised of 20 key demographic variables and five bonus questions;

• Learn commonly used analytical, demographic analysis techniques including commonly used mathematical formulas to transform raw data into compelling information and things you should know so as not be a dangerous analyst;

•Learn the strengths and weaknesses of the Census, ACS and Census Supplemental Surveys;

• Learn about the wide variety of variables available focusing on race and ethnicity, poverty, income, nationality, age, housing and population analysis;

• About Census geography including:

-What to do when your target area boundaries don't fit Census boundaries;
-Figuring out if your tract boundaries have changed between 1990 and 2000 and if so, what to do about it;
-Demonstration of ArcExplorer, a free map browser produced by ESRI;

• Learn some techniques to present data in clear, compelling ways in terms of tabular and graphical data.

MATERIALS

Each participant will receive:

• An extensive work book with a copy of the LDAW™ presentation,

• Demographic Data Resource CD™ that includes:

» ArcExplorer, a free map browser produced by ESRI

» Computerized map files (shapefiles) that can be read by ArcExplorer that include:

-Census tracts (2000 & 1990) for all US counties
-County boundaries for all US counties
-City boundaries for all US cities
-Water boundaries for all US areas
-School District boundaries for all US counties

» Receive Information Activist™, a free quarterly e-letter highlighting new data rich websites and interesting social research

--------------------------------------------------------------------- ---
Former Participants' Comments:

YMCA, Chicago, IL
"Fantastic--Useful information presented clearly. Just what I needed! Thanks!"

King County, Washington, Public Health Department, Seattle 2003
"The workshop was absolutely fantastic. It was full of very useful information presented in a completely user-friendly way.  The instructor was wonderful. Thank you very much."

Washington State Library, Seattle 2003
"Very good concise overview of demographic analysis using Census data.  I really enjoyed the instruction."

Special Care Services, Dallas,TX 2003
"This workshop really demystified the Census website and I will be using this information for years to come."

Action for Boston Community Development, Boston, MA 2002
"The materials were excellent and what I liked best about the course was that it was hands on.  The class was very helpful and useful."

NYU Institute for Education and Social Policy, NYC 2003
"This workshop presented a clear and precise overview. It was very useful."

Smartgirl Technologies, the creator of the original "Local Demographic Analysis Workshop"  is a social research company located in Portland, Oregon.  For more information about the workshop, who we are and what we do, check out our website at www.smartgirltechnologies.com.