embedded x86 development

From: Paul Kohout
Subject: embedded x86 development
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 18:07:00 -0400

First of all, I am new to GNU tools, so I'm sorry if this is an obvious question. I am developing an embedded application on an x86 processor. The application is stored in ROM and is located at a fixed address, from where it is executed upon boot-up. I would like to start using the GNU tools. I would prefer to develop on a Windows machine (since that is all we have). I looked into Cygwin, but it seems to only be able to output in DOS/Windows .EXE format. I need something that can output in pure, statically linked binary, as well as in ELF for debugging (that's what format our in-circuit emulator needs). Does anyone know where I can get the tools to do this?

Thanks,
Paul Kohout
EVI Technology