tar woes

From: Oliver Sampson
Subject: tar woes
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 18:33:43 +0200

Howdy,
I've created a tar file for a backup for my system, and I'm getting the following errors:

[olsam@friday olsam]$ tar -xvf olsam.tar
home/olsam/12010129.jpg
tar: Skipping to next header
tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers
[olsam@friday olsam]$

However, when I created the file, I think I used the -g option, but I didn't use a file name with it (the tar seemed to work just fine without it.) Now, if I try to use the -g option during untarring, it requires a file name. (Seems kinda of silly, but it wasn't actually incrmented against anything.)

So, is there a way to get the information out of this tarball? I don't believe that the tarball itself is corrupt.

Thanks,
Oliver