Re: How to use a different ld-linux.so?

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: How to use a different ld-linux.so?
Date: 29 Jun 2004 13:33:52 -0400

%% John Reiser <jreiser@BitWagon.com> writes:

  jr> If re-linking is allowed, then ld-linux.so.2 has a feature that can
  jr> help choose libraries dynamically.   In search paths used to locate
  jr> DT_NEEDED shared libraries, ld-linux.so.2 expands the strings
  jr> ${ORIGIN}, ${PLATFORM}, and ${LIB} using the shell environment
  jr> variables.  This is undocumented (at least, I cannot find any),
  jr> but unlikely to disappear; it's for "Solaris compatibility".
  jr> The source is function _dl_dst_substitute() in file elf/dl-load.c.
  jr> "dst" apparently means "dynamic string token".

That's interesting... I'll keep this in mind.

In my situation, though, I actually need a different runtime linker
itself.  My situation is that the code to be tested has a _NEWER_
version of glibc than what exists on the desktop.  For various annoying
but difficult to change reasons I can't upgrade the desktop glibc
libraries to match the ones under test.

So, backward compatibility doesn't help me: I need forward compatibility,
which of course is not there.

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@nortelnetworks.com>   HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools