Re: How to use a different ld-linux.so?

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: How to use a different ld-linux.so?
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 13:18:46 -0400

%% prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

  pj> "Paul D. Smith" <psmith@nortelnetworks.com> wrote:

  >> we really need a way of choosing at runtime, not link time,
  >> what the pathname to the linker will be.

  pj> Do you?

Yes :)

  pj> It sounds like it would be enough to do something like this: if
  pj> the test system is known as /test in the outer, normal system,
  pj> then create a symlink /test/test -> ".".  Then put "/test/lib/..."
  pj> in all the binaries.  That path will mean the same thing in
  pj> chroot/UML context and in the "normal" context.  This is assuming
  pj> you can relink everything, though.

It's not that simple.  First, there can be multiple users of these
machines so any static location is problematic.  Second, the environment
must be relocatable: we need to be able to hand off prebuilt setups to
people and not require them to rejigger their local systems.

We could try to provide a script that massaged the system to set up
links, I guess, and tried to perform some kind of locking... I'd prefer
to avoid all that if possible.

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@nortelnetworks.com>   HASMAT: HA Software Mthds & Tools