Re: Makefile -- Evaluate dependencies in order, don't consider it prere

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Makefile -- Evaluate dependencies in order, don't consider it prerequisite?
Date: 14 Jul 2004 17:57:52 -0400

%% chessaurus@yahoo.com (Chess Saurus) writes:

  cs> I apologize if this is a little bit confusing.  I have read in the
  cs> gmake manual that there are "order-only-prerequisites", which are
  cs> almost perfect, except that I can't interleave their order with the
  cs> actual prerequisites.

  >> In that "correct" makefile you would simply change the banana
  >> prerequisite to be order-only and leave the rest:
  >>
  >> apple.file : orange
  >> orange: | banana
  >> banana: pineapple
  >> pineapple:

  cs> Thanks for responding, and I think I understand your suggestion.  But
  cs> in the example you give here, if pineapple gets updated, I want
  cs> apple.file to be updated.  I think the fact that it is buried in the
  cs> tree under a "order-only" node will prevent this.

  cs> In other words, pineapple is a real prerequisite of apple.file
  cs> although banana is not.

Well, you can always use:

    apple.file: orange pineapple
    orange: | banana