Re: How to force -liberty?

From: Guy Harrison
Subject: Re: How to force -liberty?
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 22:00:20 GMT

Kilian A. Foth wrote:

> mike burrell <mikpos@shaw.ca> wrote:
>> Kilian A. Foth <foth@informatik.uni-hamburg.de> wrote:
>> >
>> > So I thought, but it doesn't:
>> >
>> > $ LDFLAGS=-liberty LIBS=-liberty make
>
>> ITYM LDFLAGS=-liberty ./configure --blahblahblah
>
>> autoconf will look at the environment.  An autoconf-generated makefile
>> generally will not.
>
> Oh, I see...
>
> Well, the truth is, I didn't even call the `configure' myself -- that
> was all done by KDE's magic `konstruct' meta-meta-configuration
> script. Guess I'll have to do it by hand instead, then.

iirc, at the 'configure' stage KDE respects the LIBS environmental -
certainly did in cvs for (eg) kdelibs last time I built it for FreeBSD. I
don't recall if there's a 'with-extra-libs=' option or not (which would be
best).

Fwiw, if you don't mind bodging it (and this kind of hack is useful for
experimenting in any case), "create" your own compiler...

<kil-gcc>
#/bin/sh
gcc $KIL_GCC_PFX "$@" $KIL_GCC_SFX
</kil-gcc>

<kil-g++>
#/bin/sh
g++ $KIL_GXX_PFX "$@" $KIL_GXX_SFX
</kil-g++>

bash$ CC=kil-gcc CXX=kil-g++ ../srcdir/configure [blah]

...then when it fails, make use of those environmentals (and any other junk
you want to insert there) to figure out what the issue is. After all, no
point putting in a lot of hard work doing it properly until you know it
*can* be built and *will* work. ;-)