Re: make: how to selectively handle exit status of commands

From: Glynn Clements
Subject: Re: make: how to selectively handle exit status of commands
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 01:05:58 GMT

Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> writes:

> "Paul D. Smith" <psmith@gnu.org> wrote in gnu.utils.help:

> >  sb> I know that MAKE incorporates some work-alikes for bits of the
> >  sb> UNIX shells,
> >
> >No it doesn't.
>
> Then I guess I'm hallucinating when I see commands "rm" to remove
> filenames.

No, you're seeing make running commands using the shell.

If you install GNU make on Windows, then try to process a Makefile
which uses "rm ...", you'll probably get an error along the lines of
"rm: command not found" (that's if you don't just get an error
regarding the shell not being found).

--
Glynn Clements <glynn.clements@virgin.net>