Re: Makefile

From: Rolf Magnus
Subject: Re: Makefile
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 16:59:50 +0200

newbiecpp wrote:

> I am very sorry to post this one because I know it is out of topic but
> I cannot find the proper news group.

What about gnu.utils.help?

> I understand that most senior C++ programmers know makefile very well.
> My question is GNU makefile support command line argument?
>
> I want to write a makefile so that when you invoke "make test", the
> makefile will compile test like this:
>
> $project = "command line argument, i.e., test";
>
> $project : ($project).cpp
>          g++ -ggdb -o $project  ($project).cpp
>
> I cannot figure it out how I can get $project=test, the test is from
> command line argument.

If you add a command line argument like "test", make will try to find a
target with that name and build it. So to do the above, you'd need to
create a wildcard target that does the right thing. Your above example
is even be built-in to gnu make. Just try the following Makefile:

CXX = g++
CXXFLAGS = -ggdb

On a "make test", it should just do what you asked for above.

> I appreciate any help or direct me to the right new groups.

Done. (xpost & f'up to gnu.utils.help)