Re: make: how to selectively handle exit status of commands

From: Stan Brown
Subject: Re: make: how to selectively handle exit status of commands
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 12:22:42 -0400

"mike burrell" <mikpos@shaw.ca> wrote in gnu.utils.help:
>Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>> Then I guess I'm hallucinating when I see commands "rm" to remove
>> filenames.
>
>I'm guessing you have djgpp installed.  Check the bin/ directory and you'll
>find that djgpp has installed an rm.exe for you.  This is why you can run rm
>with GNU make under DOS.

I don't have djgpp -- my shell is 4DOS.

I don't have rm commands in my makefile, but when deleting
intermediate files rm itself displays an "rm" command.

My question was about how this works, and the implications. Perhaps
make simply deletes the files by an unlink( ) or similar function
call and does a printf("rm %1", filename), or perhaps it's got some
sort of internal rm emulator. If it's the latter, then I wonder what
other commands are emulated.

                                   http://OakRoadSystems.com
"You want an intelligent conversation? Do what I do: talk to
yourself. It's the only way."        -- /Torch Song Trilogy/