Autoconf/Autoheader - how to check for aRts library

From: Richard Wild
Subject: Autoconf/Autoheader - how to check for aRts library
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 19:46:36 GMT

Hi all,

I have been trying to use Autoconf to generate a configure script for my little project. I have been mostly successful, but there remains one thing that I haven't worked out yet. The problem will be best illustrated if I post the Makefile.in file:

<quote>
CC=@CC@
INSTALL=@INSTALL@
CFLAGS=@CFLAGS@ `artsc-config --cflags`
LDFLAGS=@LDFLAGS@
CLIBS=@LIBS@ `artsc-config --libs`
INSTALLDIR=@prefix@

arctracker: arctracker.o initialise.o read_mod.o play_mod.o
$(CC) $(CFLAGS) $(LDFLAGS) $(CLIBS) -o arctracker arctracker.o initialise.o read_mod.o play_mod.o

arctracker.o: arctracker.h arctracker.c
        $(CC) $(CFLAGS) -c arctracker.c

initialise.o: arctracker.h initialise.c
        $(CC) $(CFLAGS) -c initialise.c

read_mod.o: arctracker.h read_mod.c
        $(CC) $(CFLAGS) -c read_mod.c

play_mod.o: arctracker.h log_lin_tab.h play_mod.c
        $(CC) $(CFLAGS) -c play_mod.c

clean:
        rm -f ./arctracker ./*.o 2>/dev/null

install: arctracker
        $(INSTALL) ./arctracker $(INSTALLDIR)/bin/arctracker

uninstall:
        rm -f /usr/local/bin/arctracker 2>/dev/null
</quote>

Please notice that I use "artsc-config --cflags" and "artsc-config --libs" to get the compiler switches for the aRts library. I think that this is necessary since the aRts library and header file are installed in unusual places.

There are two problems. Firstly, I only want to include those calls to artsc-config IF the aRts library is installed, otherwise the artsc-config program won't exist and the compile will fail, defeating the point of the configure script in the first place. I want to build the application so that if aRts is not installed, the application will still compile but with the aRts output features left out.

Secondly, the configure script currently always thinks that aRts is not present, so it always builds the application with the aRts features disabled. This is again because the library is installed in a strange place. How do I get the configure script to look in the paths given by artsc-config?

Thanks.