Configure-generated files to seperate directories?

From: Darren Hiebert
Subject: Configure-generated files to seperate directories?
Date: 30 Sep 2004 13:50:36 -0700

As far as I can tell, configure-generated files (i.e. files generated
from .in files) are placed into the same directory as the .in files
from which they are generated. Is there a means of making configure
generate its files into a different directory that their corresponding
.in files (e.g. subdirectories)?

The reason I ask is that I want to be able to configure a single
source tree such that it can be used to develop and build code for two
different architectures simulataneously (i.e. without having to remove
the previously compiled code and reconfigure). I want to be able to
compile and test a single source tree for two architectures
concurrently.

Thank you,
Darren