tar: Member name contains `..'

From: Doofus
Subject: tar: Member name contains `..'
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 05:03:11 GMT

tar (GNU tar) 1.13.25
SuSE Linux 8.2

I'm trying to extract a directory one level up from the directory the
archive was created in.

For each file in that upper-level directory, I get a

        Member name contains `..'

message and no extraction.  Doesn't matter if I extract to stdout,
whether I'm root, or what.  I've also tried '--strip-level=1' but my
version of tar doesn't recognize that option, and I'm uncertain that
it would resolve this anyway.

I'm not trying to do anything funny.  I'm just trying to restore some
files.  So far, I haven't found any reference to '..' in 'info tar'
yet, nor the man page, nor on-line.  I'm still looking, of course.

Any help appreciated.