Automake, libtool - linking against built shared library

From: Garrett Kajmowicz
Subject: Automake, libtool - linking against built shared library
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 16:44:54 -0500

OK - here it goes,

I have a base application being built in /
I am also building a shared library in /lib which the base
program must be linked against.  The library is being built with
libtool.  It builds nicely, giving me a .la file and the actual
library hidden in a subdir.

The question is this:  how to I
link the base program against the derived library in the
Makefile.am file.  I've tried almost everything i can think of, to
no avail.

Thanks for your time.

-       Garrett Kajmowicz