Re: Out of memory issues

From: Roger Leigh
Subject: Re: Out of memory issues
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 19:21:19 +0000

<adrian.gaunt@nokia.com> writes:

> I seem to be running into Out of Memory errors during software
> builds. I'm using Win2000 OS as my platform. The system I'm using is
> reasonable well spec'd -equipped with 1GB of RAM memory.

Could you perhaps post a transcript of the part of the build that
contains the errors?  Is the problem with make, the shell or the
program being invoked by the shell?

Which version of GNU make are you using?  What toolchain and libraries
did you use to build it?

What shell is make using to invoke commands?

> What I'm not sure about is the way in which Make allocates memory for
> the dependency list it creates, and whether it's this that is causing
> the problem.

How about posting the parts of the Makefile that are causing problems?
How many dependencies are there?  I seriously doubt that how make
allocates memory is an issue (though Windows does do some very broken
stuff with DLLs which can affect memory management).

> I've been told that the out of memory issue is down to the Windows
> OS - something that I'm sceptical of!

I wouldn't be--Windows is rubbish.  There's that much accumulated
cruft left in there for the sake of binary compatibility that it's
hard to be certain of all that much.  Some fundamental parts of its
design are fundamentally broken, and cannot be fixed.  The brokenness
of its memory management has been known for years.

> How does Make allocate\request memory? Will the amount of memory
> required be allocated in a block format or will Make keep dynamically
> adjusting the memory required to suit it needs?

It uses malloc/realloc/calloc/free (according to nm).  The source is
available if you need to check more closely.

> I'm having to split software components into groups to overcome the
> problems. However, I would like to use a single list, which contain
> ALL components that need to be built.

I think you need to post your makefile.

Regards,
Roger
(who's seen enough of W2K3 for one day!)

- --
Roger Leigh