Re: gmake detection of which version of RH

From: Colin S. Miller
Subject: Re: gmake detection of which version of RH
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 18:18:29 +0000

deodiaus wrote:
How does one find out which version of RH is installed on a particular
machine?

I am trying to detect the version of RH on which future we will be doing a
build.
I can't believe that this is not more standardized, and for the last 30
years everyone has been writting something like this!
I do this by looking at uname -r and associating the kernal with that
version!
Will this work?  I see one problem it that if the sys op updated the kernal,
this could potentially break

You could also parse the /etc/redhat-release file; this gives the 'box label' name of the redhat release.

On debian the file is /etc/debian_version
I assume that other distros have similar files.

HTH,
Colin S. Miller