Re: removing file with newlines in name

From: Frederik Fouvry
Subject: Re: removing file with newlines in name
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 18:55:23 +0100

,-- One day, you wrote:

[...]

| keep trying regexp patterns like "ls case*" or "ls *case*", until only
| that file shows up; then "rm" the pattern you are satisfied with.

$ \ls case*
ls: case 't':   get_all_tables = 1;
                        break;
            case 'T':   get_all_tables = 2;
: Invalid argument

is all I ever get.  I recall having had this problem some years ago,
but then I could simply rename the file with Emacs.

I tried, and I can create and delete files with names like 'a
b' (newline), 'a;b', 'a:b' or "a'b".  That's all fine.  Names
containing tabs are much harder, but with a script, it is possible.
Putting the file name in a script however does not seem to work
either.

I just pushed that further, and duplicated the name, of the script
(i.e. I tried to touch a file with a similar name and one with the
same name), and I could process the file with the modified name (I
just added a `c' in front), and then everything works again as
expected.  With the original name however, it says:

touch: setting times of `case \'t\':   get_all_tables = 1;\n
    break;\n\t    case \'T\':   get_all_tables = 2;\n': Invalid argument

It would seem that more is going on ...

Frederik Fouvry