Re: gnu tar with -g (listed-incremental)

From: Jonathan Joseph
Subject: Re: gnu tar with -g (listed-incremental)
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:34:59 -0500

Well, I don't know what the problem was, but for future searchers, I built version 1.14 from the source and that solved the problem.

-Jonathan

Jonathan Joseph wrote:

I'm trying to use gnu tar with the -g option, but whenever I make a backup, I get these crazy 11-digit numbers that precede each resotred file when I do a restore from the archive. I don't know if these are timestamps or inode numbers or what, but I can't seem to figure out how not to get them. They show up when doing a list or a restore of the tar archive.

While googling, I saw one other post about this problem but no resolution.

I am running gnu tar version 1.13 under solaris 8. I obtained the package pre-built from the solaris package archive at http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/packages/solaris/sparc/

Thanks for any help.

-Jonathan

Example: