OS dependant makefile

From: Sensei
Subject: OS dependant makefile
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 15:19:59 +0100

Hi.

I'm desperately trying to make a simple makefile not using autotools, without *any* luck at all.

Even the examples in the make manual do NOT work:

===[Makefile]===
do_sort=abc

ifdef do_sort
func := sort
else
func := strip
endif

bar := a d b g q c

foo := $($(func) $(bar))

export

all:
        @echo $(foo)
===[end Makefile]===

sensei@quantum:xge> make

sensei@quantum:xge>

How can I set variables and get them back (just VAR=VALUE does not work)? How can I pass variables to subdirectories (``export'' alone should work, I understand from the manual)?

How to define platform dependant parts? This won't work:

ifeq ($(shell /bin/uname),Linux)     <--- also $(shell "/bin/uname")...
echo "AYEYE"
endif

all:
        @echo "AAA"

clean:
        @$(MAKE) -C src clean

sensei@quantum:xge> make
Makefile:1: *** invalid syntax in conditional.  Stop.
sensei@quantum:xge>

Even though in the manual:
The syntax of the conditional-directive is the same whether the conditional is simple or complex. There are four different directives that test different conditions. Here is a table of them:

ifeq (arg1, arg2)
ifeq 'arg1' 'arg2'
[...]

ifeq ($(strip $(foo)),)