Used vpath - now compiling dependancies fails. Any suggestions

From: Andrew
Subject: Used vpath - now compiling dependancies fails. Any suggestions
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 09:22:27 -0800

I had an old makefile with $(SOURCES) defined for each .c file.
The .o's are also defined in various $(OBJ_FILES).

So I dumped the $(SOURCES) in favor of using a vpath command to create a rule for building all the .o's from corresponding .c's

The problem is that my dependancy rule now breaks because I am
not using explicit .c's

depend:
    echo Making dependencies.mips
    touch dependencies.mips
$(GCC) $(CPPOPTS) $(OLDOPTS) $(STUFF_INCDIR) -M $(SOURCES) > dependencies.mips

Is there any way to have the linkeer or compiler generate dependancies without the explicit $(SOURCES)

Assume Gnu environment, recent gnumake utilities.

Thanks for insight!

-Andrew