more uname -a output

From: Jimmy
Subject: more uname -a output
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 13:36:46 -0000 (GMT)

Hello,

Further to my last email :

I am trying to diagnose a problem / learn more. The issue that I am having
is with coreutils and the uname output.

Here is an extract of the problem

On Version A

address@bogus.example.com:~/build# /bin/uname -a
Linux poopey 2.6.10 #7 SMP Mon Dec 27 19:11:19 GMT 2004 i686 unknown
unknown GNU/Linux
address@bogus.example.com:~/build# /bin/uname --version
uname (coreutils) 5.2.1
Written by David MacKenzie.

address@bogus.example.com:~/build#

As you can see on that version the processor and platform (-i and -p) show
unknown as the response.

However when I download the standard redhat rpm (rather than the version I
compiled from source) I get the following.

address@bogus.example.com:~/build# ./uname -a
Linux poopey 2.6.10 #7 SMP Mon Dec 27 19:11:19 GMT 2004 i686 i686 i386
GNU/Linux
address@bogus.example.com:~/build# ./uname --version
uname (coreutils) 4.5.3
Written by David MacKenzie.

>As you can see from the second output I am gettin the -i and -p options
>printed. The only difference I can see initially is the version one is a
>redhat compiled binary and one is the source downloaded from the web.

root@poopey:~/build# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 8
model name      : Pentium III (Coppermine)
stepping        : 6
cpu MHz         : 1000.033
cache size      : 256 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse
bogomips        : 1974.27

processor       : 1
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 8
model name      : Pentium III (Coppermine)
stepping        : 6
cpu MHz         : 1000.033
cache size      : 256 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse
bogomips        : 1998.84

root@poopey:~/build# cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.6.10 (root@poopey) (gcc version 3.3.4) #7 SMP Mon Dec 27
19:11:19 GMT 2004

I am trying to work out why this is the case and how I can work to resolve
the problem.

Any further information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks