Saving and restoring parameters

From: Sensei
Subject: Saving and restoring parameters
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 14:57:01 -0600

Hi.

I'm trying to manage through a project which involves the use of other libraries, like gsl, xml2.

What I'm trying to do is this. From the main makefile, I set all CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS and LDFLAGS. I set up also CURDIR=$(shell pwd), and do a global export to have those flags anywhere.

The ``all:'' section has dependencies:

all: lib/libgsl.so lib/libz.so lib/libiconv.so lib/libxml2.so lib/libqhull.a

On each dependant library I do simply:

lib/libgsl.so:
        @echo "make libgsl    (GNU Scientific)"
        $(MAKE) -s -C external/gsl-1.6/ -f Makefile.gsl

Now, what I want to do is calling configure, make and make install in the gsl project. My Makefile.gsl file is:

all:
        OLD_CFLAGS=$CFLAGS
        OLD_CXXFLAGS=$CXXFLAGS
        OLD_LDFLAGS=$LDFLAGS
        export CFLAGS=""
        export CXXFLAGS=""
        export LDFLAGS=""
        @echo "CFLAGS:$(CFLAGS)    CXXFLAGS:$(CXXFLAGS)     LDFLAGS:$(LDFLAGS)"
        @./configure --prefix=$(CUR_DIR)
        @$(MAKE)
        @$(MAKE) install
        CFLAGS=OLD_CFLAGS
        CXXFLAGS=OLD_CXXFLAGS
        LDFLAGS=OLD_LDFLAGS
        @echo "CFLAGS:$(CFLAGS)    CXXFLAGS:$(CXXFLAGS)     LDFLAGS:$(LDFLAGS)"

But the *FLAGS are still unchanged, so I get nasty errors like ``C compiler cannot create executables'' since C/CXX/LDFLAGS are not what they're supposed to be (empty).

How can I do what I'm trying to do? :)

--
Sensei <mailto:senseiwa@tin.it> <pgp:8998A2DB>
       <icqnum:241572242>