Re: VPATH as a target-specific variable

From: John Graham-Cumming
Subject: Re: VPATH as a target-specific variable
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 15:42:29 -0500

Darren Hiebert wrote:
Has anyone else noticed that the VPATH variable does not appear to work
when set
using a target-specific variable assignment?

Example:
some_target: VPATH = path

That's correct.  VPATH is global.

I have a real need for this capability.

Perhaps you should take a look at the vpath directive.

For example, suppose that I want a specific VPATH search path for a specific target I can do the following:

    .PHONY: all
    all: foo.bar ; @echo $@ $<

    vpath foo.bar src/

    foo.bar: ; @echo Making $@

If there's a foo.bar in the src/ directory then the vpath directive will cause it to be used and you'll see the following output:

    all src/foo.bar

John.
--
John Graham-Cumming