Re: Please help with makefile

From: John Graham-Cumming
Subject: Re: Please help with makefile
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 19:09:22 -0500

Stephen Mayes wrote:
No error. But it doesn't seem to check any dependencies. I can modify source and do ls -l to verify the time changed, but the objects are not recompiled and no link. Just my "Done."

I have to 'make clean' and 'make all' whenever I've modified anything. I think that defeats the whole purpose of 'make'.

btw. SRCDIR is a dynamic link to ro nfs, if that makes a difference. That's why OBJDIR must be different.

So I took your Makefile (and added TABs in all the right places) and I built a simple directory structure like this:

mayes/Makefile

mayes/src/connection.c
mayes/src/llist.c
mayes/src/main.c

mayes/inc/llist.h
mayes/inc/connection.h
mayes/inc/main.h

mayes/obj/

And I ran 'make'. No problems. Then I did a 'touch src/connection.c' and 'make' and it ran fine. So doesn't look to me like there's a problem in your Makefile.

I'm wondering if there's something odd with the NFS mount.

(If you want I can TAR up my example directory and you can tell me if it works for you).

John.
--
John Graham-Cumming
jgc@jgc.org