using patch, how to detrmine whether patch is already applied

From: jilerner
Subject: using patch, how to detrmine whether patch is already applied
Date: 18 Apr 2005 07:09:32 -0700

I have a patchfile x.patch. Before I apply x.patch,
I need to check, in the script, whether this patch is
already applied. How can I invoke 'patch' to
check whether patch is already applied, without actually
applying it ?

I tried 'patch --dry-run -t <x.patch' but the exit
status is 0 in both cases, whether path is apready
applied ot not.

How can I invoke 'patch' to whether atch is already applied,
from the script ?

YL