Re: when gnu-make is missing a dependency

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: when gnu-make is missing a dependency
Date: 06 May 2005 16:47:41 -0400

%% Randy Yates <randy.yates@sonyericsson.com> writes:

  ry> I have a goal that has "lpc.o" as a dependency. When
  ry> I make that goal, the goal rules attempt to run even
  ry> though "lpc.o" does not exist. When I "make lpc.o"
  ry> I get a "Nothing to be done" response, even though
  ry> lpc.o does not exist.

  ry> Why don't I get a "No rule to build lpc.o needed
  ry> by <goal>" error when I build for the goal???
  ry> And why do I get a "Nothing to be done" response
  ry> when the lpc.o target does not exist?

Make thinks it knows how to build this target, or that it's already
built.

Possible reasons are (a) that file does exist, maybe on VPATH, or (b)
you have a target "lpc.o" in your makefile with no rule or
prerequisites (see the section "Rules without Commands or Prerequisites"
in the GNU make manual).

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@gnu.org>          Find some GNU make tips at: