Re: RH 9 & glibc 2.2: Undefined reference to `__ctype_b'

From: David Schwartz
Subject: Re: RH 9 & glibc 2.2: Undefined reference to `__ctype_b'
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 18:43:33 -0700

"jgowland@genacapwarecom" <jgowland@gmail.com> wrote in message
1120711812.136728.204200@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com">news:1120711812.136728.204200@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

>I have a static library from a third party which I need to use in an
> application, and I need to build it on a system running Red Hat 9.  It
> links fine on older versions of Red Hat (e.g. 7.3), but when I try to
> link it on RH 9, I get:

    Static libraries are not supposed to be compatible across development
environments. You should ask the third party for a shared library or a
static library intended for your distribution.

    For the future, I would not let myself be dependent on a third party's
ability to ship updated libraries. The next incompatabilty may be even
harder to work around. Insist on a shared library.

    DS