Re: Any makefile gurus out there?

From: Peter T. Breuer
Subject: Re: Any makefile gurus out there?
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 13:25:44 +0200

In comp.os.linux.development.system milkyway <d0mufasa@hotmail.com> wrote:
> The problem is as follows. When running the make, the output file has
> the following:

Why? What did you write in the makefile?

> gcc -shared  calculator.lo soapServer.lo soapC.lo  -lgsoap++
> -Wl,-soname -Wl,libCalculator.so.0 -o .libs/libCalculator.so.0.0.0

Looks fine to me. More or less. What do you want to change and why?

> The thing is, instead of using gcc, I need to use g++.

Then do so. Change gcc to g++ in the makefile at that point. But why
do you want to change it? Gcc is only acting as a caller to the linker
at that point, so why bother with gcc or g++ at all? Call the linker
directly with the args you want.

> I have included
> the 3 makefiles that create the makefile log below (sorry so long but I
> don't know what to do next).

No you didn't, and please don't.

> What can I do to one or more these makefiles to get the "gcc" to turn
> into "g++"??

What's your problem with doing that? Come to that, why don't you just
type the line you quoted on the screen, with g++ typed instead of gcc?

> Help is appreciated.

What's your difficulty here? Please be precise. To my eyes it looks as
though you are asking "how do I write a Makefile"? Well, go read a
book, or do like everybody else - read the pinfo make output, or read
a few makefiles to get the idea, but above all, show some initiative
of your OWN first before throwing up your hands and asking the rest of
the world to do your own thinking for you!  Is this a homework
assignment?  Is this work for which you are being paid (in which case I
will quote you a price for the consultation)?

Peer