automake moves assignment around (out of Makefile conditional)

From: Daniel Kabs
Subject: automake moves assignment around (out of Makefile conditional)
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 11:38:11 +0100

Hello,

I'am a beginner regarding automake, so please bear with me if I am ignorant to the usual automake practices: I want to include some code in Makefile.am so that if finally ends up verbatim in the Makefile. Example:

ifeq "$(strip $(TESTDIR))" ""
 TESTDIR=/tmp/testdir
endif

According to

http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#General-Operation

by running automake "The variable definitions and rules in the Makefile.am are copied verbatim into the generated file" (i.e. Makefile.im)

Brilliant, the task should be foolproof, I thought. But automake proved me wrong!

Automake emitted an error "Makefile.am:47: endif without if". No problem, this can be resolved by indenting the above code with one space.

But it also moved the assignment out of the if-endif clause to the top of Makefile.in.

Why is this and how can I avoid this easily?

Cheers
Daniel
Germany
--
Granted, CVS does not handle binary files as well as it handles
mergeable text files.  But even with CVS's handicaps and limitations