Re: wanting to contribute documentation to coreutils

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: wanting to contribute documentation to coreutils
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 12:01:52 -0600

    and I want to help

Documentation improvements would be most welcome.  Thanks.

    what is the process for inserting
    documentation into, for example, the coreutils project?

    I notice changes to doc/coreutils.texi, is that the best place to start?

Yes.

    and does that change manpages as well?

No.

    if not, is there a file that when changed will update the info-page
    as well as manpage?

No.  The man pages are generated from the --help output, which is
maintained separately from the Texinfo manual.  Although I have heard of
some libraries which try to unify this, so that options are described in
only one place, to my knowledge coreutils does not use them.  (Very few
packages do.)

Best,
Karl