gmake include makefile question

From: CPA Study Group
Subject: gmake include makefile question
Date: 14 Mar 2006 16:52:28 -0800

I am having a problem wiht including autogenerated makefiles. The
makefile is along the following lines:

--------------
MAKEFLAGS = -r

Makefile.Depend:
<tab>gendepend.sh

-include Makefile.Depend
include Makefile.other

file1.o: file1.F90
<tab>f90 -c file1.F90

file2.o: file2.F90
<tab>f90 -c file1.F90

------------

The gendepend.sh script generates the Makefile.Depend which among other
things includes the fact that "file1.F90" depends on other files, say
"file2.o" (actually if depends on file2.mod which is generated at the
same time file2.o is generated).

When I run gmake for the first time, it generates the "Makefile.Depend"
but does not process it, hence I get an error when "f90 -c file1.F90"
is being executed, since file2.o does not exist. How do I tell gmake to
"include Makefile.Depend" and if it is not there generate it and
include it before doing anything else.

I tried removing MAKEFLAGS=-r, but that did not help.

- Murali